Personal Inquiry BLOG

Thursday, September 23, 2004

Weaving and Summarizing

I used the charts I created and filled out to make decisions on the techniques and tools I would use on my scrapbook pages. I eliminated techniques/tools that I would like to try if they were too expensive (heat embossing, E-Z Stretch), too time-consuming (paper piecing), or not as dramatic of an effect as I had hoped (dry embossing). I reached these conclusions using the presented information and my prior knowledge of the subject (Inferencing -Callison pgs 245-249).

My topic is not one in which comparing of techniques seemed appropriate. However, comparing of resources was something I could compare. I definitely liked searching websites best. I could taylor my search for exactly what I wanted and had several resources to choose from. On the other hand, books, and magazines, required me to spend more time flipping through pages (even using skimming techniques) trying to find what I was looking for. It took more time to look through the few books and magazines than it did for me to examine several websites. (websites - I can search several at the same time.) The least favorite resource was the DIY TV show called Scrapbooking. I can watch an entire show and find nothing I would want to use. However, I find myself watching it on a regular basis (usually while I am typing on the computer.)

I divided my findings into category lists (techniques, tools, and journaling)I posted earlier. The tools list essentially became a shopping list. I also made sure I organized my work so that I can actually use them later. I first documented where each technique/tool could be found on my notes sheet. This is most important for the book, and magazine resources. I also folded down pages in the magazines so I can get to them faster. Not very scientific but I own the magazines. I then bookmarked websites that I knew I would use often (see best website list from previous posting). I know that copying and pasting is not a technique we would want to show students to do, but for this project I copied required steps for these techniques into a word document. I will print these steps out to refer to when I complete pages.

When searching I found answers to my research questions and also found answers to the new questions that came up. Now in order to synthesize the information gathered I have to come up with something new. One of the techniques/tools I was interested in was creating scrapbook pages on the computer. So I bought a software program called Scrapbooks Plus. I will use this program to create interesting scrapbook pages. Now since I like to create print scrapbooks too, I will not show how I implemented every technique or tool that I researched - just ones that can work through the use of the software program (like journaling poems, quotes and quips). By using what I have learned I can create something new (synthesize).

I am hopeful that showing just a part of what I learned will be okay. I am also concerned about my audience. Think I better e-mail to ask now.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home